SmartPoints® value per serving
When you make a recipe that only calls for an egg white, don't toss the yolk! Whip up this ultra-rich treat instead. Homemade pudding is so easy to make and uses essential pantry ingredients you probably already have in stock. But, if you don't have all the ingredients on hand, you can save the yolks in the fridge for up to 2 days. Fill a small jar with water and carefully slide in the unbroken yolk. Cover and refrigerate and drain before using. To make sure your pudding has a silky consistency, gradually add the hot milk mixture to the yolk-cocoa mixture so the yolk doesn’t curdle (or scramble) as it cooks to a safe temperature.
Fat free skim milk
Unsweetened cocoa powder
⅔ cup(s), powder
Uncooked egg yolk(s)
- In a large, heavy nonstick saucepan, bring milk, cocoa, sugar, cornstarch and salt to a boil over medium-low heat, stirring constantly for 2 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, lightly beat the egg yolk.
- Whisk in 1 tablespoon of the cocoa mixture; whisk the egg yolk mixture back into the remaining cocoa mixture, whisking constantly.
- Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, 2 minutes. Do not let mixture boil. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Pour pudding into 4 dessert bowls or 1 serving bowl. Refrigerate, covered, until chilled, at least 1 hour.