- Total Time
Everything you’d expect – moist crumbly cake with lots of chocolaty goodness. Sprinkle on a pinch of sea salt for an unexpected flavor contrast.
cooking spray2 spray(s)
all-purpose flour1 ¼ cup(s)
baking powder1 ½ tsp
baking soda1 tsp
table salt⅛ tsp
sugar9 Tbsp, granulated
egg(s)2 large, beaten
vanilla extract1 tsp
bittersweet chocolate2 ½ oz
unsalted butter3 Tbsp
hot water1 cup(s), almost boiling
powdered sugar1 ½ Tbsp
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 12-hole muffin pan with cupcake liners or coat pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, in another large bowl, beat granulated sugar, eggs and vanilla until light and somewhat fluffy.
- Melt butter and chocolate in a double-boiler over very low heat, stirring constantly, so it doesn’t burn.
- With electric mixer running on slow, pour warm chocolate mixture into eggs until thoroughly combined. Add flour mixture and hot water, alternating in batches, until just combined.
- Pour batter into muffin holes about 2/3s full. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of a muffin comes out clean, about 15 minutes. Place pan on a wire rack for 2 minutes and then remove cupcakes from pan to cool completely. Once cool, dust with powdered sugar. Yields 1 cupcake per serving.