Chocolate Chile Cookies
- Total Time
These are a Texas favorite: a heat spike in an otherwise intensely chocolate cookie.
cooking spray2 spray(s)
unsweetened baking chocolate square(s)2 oz, chopped
all-purpose flour1 cup(s)
baking soda1 tsp
table salt½ tsp
cayenne pepper¼ tsp, or more to taste
packed brown sugar1 cup(s), dark-variety
sugar⅓ cup(s), granulated
egg(s)2 large, at room temperature
vanilla extract1 tsp
sliced almonds½ cup(s), toasted
- 1 Arrange oven racks in top and bottom thirds of oven; preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 large cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- 2 Place chocolate in small microwaveable bowl and microwave on High for 15 seconds. Stir, then continue to microwave in 15-second increments, stirring after each, until half of chocolate has melted. Remove bowl from microwave and continue stirring until chocolate has melted; set aside to cool.
- 3 Whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, and cayenne in medium bowl; set aside.
- 4 With electric mixer on medium speed, beat brown sugar, granulated sugar, and eggs until well blended, about 1 minute. Beat in melted chocolate and the vanilla until smooth.
- 5 Add flour mixture and almonds; stir just until blended.
- 6 Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto prepared cookie sheets, spacing mounds about 2 inches apart.
- 7 Bake until cookies are firm and slightly puffed, about 10 minutes. Cool on cookie sheets for 5 minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool completely.
- Serving size: (1 cookie)