4 large, at room temperature
Cream of tartar
1 cup(s), superfine variety
Unsweetened cocoa powder
¼ cup(s), sifted
Low fat cream cheese
4 oz, Neufchatel, softened
1½ Tbsp, granulated
½ pound(s), hulled and sliced (or raspberries)
- Preheat oven to 250°F. Line large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- To make meringue, with electric mixer on medium speed, beat egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt in large bowl until soft peaks form when beaters are lifted. Add superfine sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until stiff, glossy peaks form.
- Sift cocoa over beaten whites in three additions, gently folding with rubber spatula just until cocoa is incorporated, being careful not to deflate the meringue. Spoon meringue onto prepared baking sheet and spread to form 9-inch nest with 1-inch- high edge.
- Bake meringue 1 1/2 hours. Turn oven off and let meringue cool in oven 2 hours. Remove from oven and slide meringue with parchment onto wire rack and let cool completely.
- To make filling, with electric mixer on medium speed, beat together mascarpone, cream cheese, milk, granulated sugar, and vanilla in medium bowl until smooth.
- To serve, transfer meringue to serving plate. Spoon mascarpone mixture into center of meringue and top with strawberries. Using vegetable peeler, shave chocolate over berries. Using serrated knife, cut pavlova into 12 wedges and serve immediately.
- Serving size: 1 wedge