Chicken, roasted-corn, and bean stew
2 medium, husks and silks removed
1 pound(s), halved
Orange bell pepper
1 medium, halved lengthwise
1 tsp, or to taste
Sun-dried hot chile pepper(s)
1 item(s), ancho variety, large
1½ cup(s), boiling
Uncooked boneless skinless chicken thigh(s)
1 pound(s), trimmed and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
1 small, halved lengthwise, thinly sliced
2 medium clove(s), minced
Canned pinto beans
15½ oz, rinsed and drained
¼ cup(s), thinly sliced
¼ cup(s), chopped
1 item(s), cut into 4 wedges
- 1 Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray large rimmed baking sheet with nonstick spray. Place corn, tomatoes, bell pepper, and jalapeño on prepared baking sheet; spray vegetables lightly with olive oil nonstick spray and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Roast, turning vegetables (except tomatoes) once, until tender and lightly browned, 30–35 minutes. Let cool.
- 2 Meanwhile, place ancho in small bowl and add boiling water to cover; let stand until softened, about 20 minutes. Drain ancho and reserve water. Discard stem and seeds and chop ancho.
- 3 Seed jalapeño. Transfer jalapeño, tomatoes, bell pepper, and ancho to food processor with any accumulated juices on baking sheet and puree. Set aside.
- 4 Heat 2 teaspoons oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and the black pepper; add to skillet in batches, and cook, stirring often, until well browned, about 4 minutes. Transfer to plate.
- 5 Reduce heat to medium. Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil to skillet; add onion and cook, stirring often, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the pureed tomato mixture, 3/4 cup of the reserved ancho soaking water, and the oregano to skillet. Stir in chicken and bring to simmer. Cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until chicken is very tender, about 20 minutes. (If stew becomes too thick, stir in a little more of the ancho soaking water.)
- 6 Cut kernels from corn. Add corn and beans to stew and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes. Season to taste with additional salt, if desired. Ladle stew evenly into 4 bowls; sprinkle with scallions and cilantro and serve with lime wedges.
- Serving size: (about 1 1/2 cups)