Chicken Niçoise salad with tarragon-olive vinaigrette
½ tsp, plus more for salting water
Uncooked whole white potato(es)
8 oz, fingerling variety
Uncooked string beans
8 oz, thin, trimmed
Uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast
20 oz, 4 (5-oz breasts)
White wine vinegar
Extra virgin olive oil
8 large, Kalamata variety, pitted and minced
1 small, minced
2 tsp, choppped
Fresh mixed greens
4 medium, cut into wedges
Hard boiled eggs
2 item(s), large, quartered
Uncooked red onion(s)
1 small, thinly sliced
- In a large saucepan over high heat, bring salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender, about 8 minutes, adding green beans during the last 2 minutes of cooking time. Drain and rinse under cold running water until cool. Set aside.
- Spray a ridged grill pan with nonstick spray and set over medium-high heat until hot.
- Sprinkle chicken with 1⁄2 tsp salt and 1⁄4 tsp pepper; add to grill pan. Grill chicken, turning occasionally, until cooked through, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and cut into slices.
- Meanwhile, to make vinaigrette: In a small bowl, whisk vinegar, oil, mustard, 1⁄8 tsp black pepper, and 11⁄2 tbsp water. Stir in olives, shallot, and tarragon. Set aside.
- Cut potatoes in half lengthwise. In a large bowl, toss potatoes, green beans, and 2 tbsp vinaigrette until coated.
- Among 4 plates, evenly divide mixed greens. Arrange potatoes, green beans, tomatoes, eggs, and onion on greens. Top with chicken slices. Drizzle with remaining vinaigrette.
- Serving size: about 3 cups salad, 1 chicken breast, and 2 tbsp vinaigrette