Chicken and vegetable soup with avocado
Uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast
1 pound(s), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
¼ tsp, or to taste
1 medium, chopped
Uncooked bell pepper(s)
1 item(s), small, small size, red variety, chopped
1 medium, minced (remove seeds for a milder soup)
2 medium clove(s), minced
Canned chicken broth
29 oz, 2 (14 1/2-ounce) cans
Canned diced tomatoes
14½ oz, 1 can, drained
Frozen corn kernels
1½ cup(s), or fresh
Fresh lime juice
½ item(s), medium, pitted, peeled, and diced
¼ cup(s), chopped fresh
- 1 Heat 2 teaspoons oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with salt and black pepper. Add half of chicken to pot and cook, stirring often, until lightly browned and cooked through, about 3 minutes. Transfer to plate. Repeat with remaining chicken.
- 2 Add remaining 2 teaspoons oil to pot. Add onion, bell pepper, and jalapeño and cook, stirring often, until vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, chili powder, and cumin and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 30 seconds. Stir in broth and tomatoes. Cover and bring to boil.
- 3 Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until vegetables are tender, about 8 minutes. Stir in corn and chicken and cook just until heated through, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in lime juice. Season to taste with additional salt, if desired.
- 4 Ladle soup evenly into 4 bowls. Top evenly with avocado and cilantro.
- Serving size: (1 3/4 cups soup and 2 slices avocado)