Chicken and fennel in rosemary-wine broth
This rustic Italian entrée is perfect for a cool night and since it’s cooked in one skillet it makes it easy to get your vegetable fix. First, sear the chicken to get a good brown exterior, and then sauté the fennel and onion in the flavorful drippings left behind—they’ll mellow and become slightly sweet as they cook. Return the chicken and any accumulated juices to the pan to finish cooking. Serve with crusty whole grain bread, or over rice, to sop up all of the broth. If you don’t want to use wine in this recipe, you can substitute 1 tablespoon red or white wine vinegar and 3 tablespoons water.
Uncooked fennel bulb(s)
Uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast(s)
1 pound(s), cut into bite-size chunks
1¼ tsp, fresh, chopped
5 tsp, divided
1 Tbsp, extra-virgin, divided
Uncooked red onion(s)
1 small, chopped
2 fl oz, or white wine (1/4 cup)
Canned chicken broth
½ tsp, or to taste
⅛ tsp, freshly ground, or to taste
- Trim stalk from fennel. Quarter bulb(s) lengthwise and then slice crosswise into small pieces; reserve fronds for garnish (you will have about 3 cups fennel).
- Put chicken on a plate and sprinkle with rosemary; sprinkle with 4 tsp flour and toss to coat.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook, turning occasionally with tongs, until lightly browned, about 6 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate (chicken will not be fully cooked at this point).
- In same skillet over medium-high heat, heat remaining 2 tsp oil. Add fennel and onion; sauté until lightly browned and almost tender, about 7 minutes.
- Add wine and garlic; reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring bottom of pan to scrape up browned bits, until most of wine has evaporated, about 1 minute.
- In a small bowl, stir together broth with remaining 1 tsp flour; stir into skillet. Add salt and pepper; increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 1 minute. Add chicken; cook, tossing often, until chicken is cooked through, about 2 minutes. Garnish with reserved chopped fennel fronds and serve.
- Serving size: 1 c