Carrot Cake with a Lemon Glaze
whole wheat flour
packed brown sugar
¼ cup(s), granulated
2 large, beaten
¼ cup(s), melted
2 cup(s), finely grated (about 1/2 lb carrots)
2 tsp, fresh, grated
canned carrot juice
4 fl oz, or fresh (1/2 cup)
powdered sugar (confectioner's)
fresh lemon juice
2 tsp, or less to taste
low fat cream cheese
2⅔ Tbsp, at room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Generously coat a bundt pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together both types of flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon; set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, in a large bowl, beat together both sugars, eggs and melted butter until light and fluffy. Add applesauce; beat again. Fold in carrots and ginger. Working in small batches, add flour mixture, alternating with juice, until batter is blended; beat on high for 30 seconds more.
- Pour batter into prepared pan; smooth top. Bake until a tester inserted in cake comes out clean, about 50 to 60 minutes. Cool cake in pan for 15 minutes; turn cake out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- While cake is cooling, combing icing ingredients in a medium bowl; using an electric mixer, beat until well-combined. (Add water for desired consistency if necessary.) Drizzle or pour icing over top of cake; let sit a few minutes. Slice into 16 pieces and serve. Yields 1 piece per serving.