2 large, such as Braeburn and Granny Smith
Fresh lemon juice
1 large egg(s)
¾ cup(s), turbinado-variety (sugar in the raw)
Reduced-fat sour cream
Freshly grated nutmeg
6 item(s), about 1/3 oz each
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Prepare a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cupcake liners.
- Cut each apple into 8 slices and cut each slice in half; place in a bowl and toss with lemon juice.
- Using an electric mixer, in a large bowl, beat egg and sugar until fluffy and sugar is completely dissolved. Add sour cream and blend thoroughly. Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg; combine well but do not over beat. Fold in apples.
- Fill each muffin liner about two-thirds full with batter.* Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of a muffin comes out clean and the top turns lightly golden, about 29 to 33 minutes. Flip muffins out of pan onto a wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, to prepare icing, in a small saucepan, combine caramel and vanilla extract; place over low heat and stir to melt and combine. While icing is warm, drizzle over tops of cooled muffins. Yields 1 muffin per serving.