- 2 large fresh apple(s), such as Braeburn and Granny Smith
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 large egg(s)
- 3/4 cup(s) sugar, turbinado-variety (sugar in the raw)
- 1/2 cup(s) reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 cup(s) white all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 6 item(s) caramel candies, about 1/3 oz each
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Prepare a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cupcake liners.
- Cut each apple into 8 slices and cut each slice in half; place in a bowl and toss with lemon juice.
- Using an electric mixer, in a large bowl, beat egg and sugar until fluffy and sugar is completely dissolved. Add sour cream and blend thoroughly. Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg; combine well but do not over beat. Fold in apples.
- Fill each muffin liner about two-thirds full with batter.* Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of a muffin comes out clean and the top turns lightly golden, about 29 to 33 minutes. Flip muffins out of pan onto a wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, to prepare icing, in a small saucepan, combine caramel and vanilla extract; place over low heat and stir to melt and combine. While icing is warm, drizzle over tops of cooled muffins. Yields 1 muffin per serving.
*Batter is extremely gooey. To turn batter into cupcake pans, you might want to coat a 1/4-cup measuring cup with cooking spray and use it to scoop up the batter. Then use a spatula coated with cooking spray to help transfer the batter into the prepared pan.