- Spray Belgian waffle-maker with nonstick spray. Preheat according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Whisk together flour, wheat germ, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in large bowl. Whisk together buttermilk, egg substitute, oil, orange zest, and vanilla in medium bowl. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture and stir until moistened.
- Scoop 1 1/3 cups batter to make 2 (4 1/2-inch) square waffles into waffle maker; lightly spread batter to fill each grid. Close lid and bake until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Transfer waffles to platter and keep warm. Repeat with remaining batter, spraying waffle maker between batches, making total of 8 waffles.
- With sharp knife, cut off slice from top and bottom of oranges. Stand fruit upright and cut off peel and pith, cutting from top to bottom, turning fruit as you go. Cut oranges crosswise into 1/2-inch rounds; cut rounds in half.
- Top waffles evenly with oranges and pomegranate arils. Serve with maple syrup.
- Per serving: 1 waffle with 1/4 cup orange segments, 2 tablespoons arils, and 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup
To prep a pomegranate, cut off and discard the top and cut into 4 wedges. Place wedges, one at a time, in a large bowl of cool water. Holding the wedge underwater, use your fingers to gently remove the arils (seeds). Discard the peel and pith and drain off the water.