Orange-pomegranate buttermilk waffles
White whole wheat flour
2 large egg(s)
Toasted wheat germ
½ cup(s), honey-toasted variety
2 tsp, grated
2 large, cut into segments
4 Tbsp, warmed
- Spray Belgian waffle-maker with nonstick spray. Preheat according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Whisk together flour, wheat germ, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in large bowl. Whisk together buttermilk, eggs, oil, orange zest, and vanilla in medium bowl. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture and stir until moistened.
- Scoop 1 1/3 cups batter to make 2 (4 1/2-inch) square waffles into waffle maker; lightly spread batter to fill each grid. Close lid and bake until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Transfer waffles to platter and keep warm. Repeat with remaining batter, spraying waffle maker between batches, making total of 8 waffles.
- With sharp knife, cut off slice from top and bottom of oranges. Stand fruit upright and cut off peel and pith, cutting from top to bottom, turning fruit as you go. Cut oranges crosswise into 1/2-inch rounds; cut rounds in half.
- Top waffles evenly with oranges and pomegranate arils. Serve with maple syrup.
- Per serving: 1 waffle with 1/4 cup orange segments, 2 tablespoons arils, and 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup