Butterflied roast chicken with herbed potatoes
Olive oil cooking spray
Raw skinless boneless light and dark meat chicken
1¾ pound(s), (1 whole chicken, 3 1/2-pound, giblets removed)
Uncooked russet potato
3 medium, (baking potatoes), scrubbed and each cut into 8 wedges
12 small, peeled
8 large clove(s), peeled
2 Tbsp, fresh, or thyme, chopped
- 1 Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray medium roasting pan with olive oil nonstick spray.
- 2 With kitchen scissors, cut down along each side of backbone of chicken and discard backbone or save for stock. Place chicken, opened flat, in roasting pan. Sprinkle chicken on both sides with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Arrange chicken in pan, skin side up; spray chicken with olive oil nonstick spray.
- 3 Roast chicken until instant-read thermometer inserted into thigh registers 165°F, about 1 hour.
- 4 Meanwhile, spray medium baking dish with olive oil nonstick spray. Combine potatoes, shallots, garlic, rosemary, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper in baking dish; drizzle with oil and toss to coat. Spread potatoes to form even layer. After chicken has roasted 15 minutes, put potatoes in oven and roast until potatoes are crisp and tender, about 45 minutes. Transfer to serving bowl.
- 5 Transfer chicken to cutting board and let stand 10 minutes. Carve chicken and arrange on platter. Skim off any fat from pan juices; pour pan juices over chicken. Serve potato mixture alongside. Remove skin before eating.
- Serving size: 1/6 of chicken, about 2 tablespoons pan juices, and 1/6 of vegetables