Blintzes with Blueberry Sauce
- Total Time
Double or triple the sauce and cheese filling from this recipe, and freeze them so they can be taken out on the spur of the moment for a special treat.
fresh blueberries2 cup(s), divided
lemon zest2 ½ tsp
fresh lemon juice1 tsp
low fat cream cheese8 oz
1% low fat cottage cheese3 Tbsp
almond extract¼ tsp
ground cinnamon⅛ tsp
all-purpose flour¾ cup(s)
regular liquid egg substitute¾ cup(s)
fat free skim milk1 cup(s)
- In a saucepan over medium heat combine 1 cup of blueberries, 1 tablespoon of sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of lemon zest and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice; heat, stirring constantly, until almost jam consistency, about 8 minutes. Stir in remaining blueberries.
- For filling, beat cheeses, egg, 2 tablespoons of sugar, extract, cinnamon and remaining 2 teaspoons of zest until smooth.
- Combine flour and remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar to make blintzes. Add egg substitute and milk; whisk to combine and chill for at least 30 minutes. Heat a small nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Remove pan from heat and add 2 to 3 tablespoons of batter, tilting to coat evenly. Return to heat; cook 2 minutes until batter just solidifies. Repeat until all batter is used.
- Divide filling onto cooked side of blintzes and fold up envelope style. Heat a small nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and coat with cooking spray. Place filled blintzes into pan seam-side up and cook until they begin to color, about 1 minute. Turn over and repeat.
- Serve immediately with sauce. Makes 8 blintzes.