Beef and Blue Cheese Pickups
- Total Time
olive oil cooking spray3 spray(s)
olive oil4 tsp
uncooked onion(s)16 oz, (1 onion), white variety, halved and thinly sliced
table salt¾ tsp
fresh thyme1 tsp, leaves
whole wheat french bread8 oz, baguette variety, cut diagonally into 24 (1/4-inch) slices
uncooked lean flank steak1 pound(s), trimmed
fennel seed1 tsp, ground using spice grinder or mortar and pestle
garlic powder½ tsp
black pepper¼ tsp
gorgonzola cheese1 oz, or blue cheese, crumbled
- Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat; add onion and ¼ teaspoon of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low and cook onion, stirring occasionally, until light golden, about 20 minutes longer. Transfer to small bowl and stir in thyme; let cool. (Can be made up to 1 day ahead and refrigerated.)
- Preheat broiler.
- Arrange bread on baking sheet. Lightly spray tops of bread slices with olive oil nonstick spray. Broil 5 inches from heat, without turning, until golden, about 2 minutes.
- Rub remaining 2 teaspoons oil all over steak. Mix together fennel, garlic powder, paprika, pepper, and remaining ½ teaspoon salt in cup; rub all over steak.
- Spray grill pan with nonstick spray and set over medium heat. Put steak in grill pan and grill until instant-read thermometer inserted into side of steak registers 145°F, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer steak to cutting board; let stand 10 minutes.
- To serve, cut steak against grain on slight diagonal into 24 thin slices. Arrange bread, toasted side up, on platter. Top each toast with about 2 teaspoons caramelized onion, 1 slice of steak (folded to fit bread), and few crumbles Gorgonzola.
- Per serving: 2 pieces