- Total Time
The Canadian bacon used in this dish is a leaner alternative to regular bacon. Try dicing a few slices into your favorite dishes.
uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast(s)1 pound(s), cut into 1-inch pieces
uncooked onion(s)2 medium, sliced
sweet red pepper(s)1 medium, seeded and sliced into thin strips
yellow pepper(s)1 medium, seeded and sliced into thin strips
garlic clove(s)3 clove(s), medium, minced
table wine½ cup(s), white
canned diced tomatoes14 ½ oz, drained
dried thyme1 tsp
cooked Canadian-style bacon4 slice(s), diced
table salt⅛ tsp, or to taste
black pepper⅛ tsp, or to taste
cooked white rice2 cup(s)
fresh parsley1 Tbsp, chopped for garnish (optional)
- Coat a Dutch oven with cooking spray. Cook chicken over medium-high heat until no longer pink in center, about 4 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add onions and peppers; cook until soft, 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently. If necessary, add water to pot to keep onions from burning.
- Add garlic and cook 1 minute more.
- Add wine, tomatoes, thyme, bacon and chicken. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes. Season to taste. Serve over white rice. Garnish with chopped, fresh parsley, if desired.
- Flavor Booster: Roasted vegetables add a delicious smoky flavor to this dish. To start, substitute 1 roasted red pepper and 1 roasted yellow pepper, available in jars or in supermarket deli cases. Use a 14.5-ounce can roasted diced tomatoes.