Basic Yellow Cake
- Total Time
Delicious plain. Or try it dunked in coffee, topped with fresh fruit and light whipped cream, or dusted with powdered sugar.
cooking spray1 spray(s)
all-purpose flour2 cup(s)
baking powder1 tsp
baking soda½ tsp
table salt½ tsp
egg(s)2 large, beaten
vanilla extract2 tsp
almond extract½ tsp
unsweetened applesauce¼ Tbsp
reduced-fat sour cream½ cup(s)
unsalted butter½ cup(s), melted
fat free skim milk1 cup(s)
unsweetened cocoa powder1 tsp, powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 11- X 7 1/2-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In another large bowl, using an electric mixer, whip eggs with sugar until light and fluffy. Add vanilla extract, almond extract, applesauce, sour cream and melted butter; beat until well-combined.
- Pour 1/4 of flour mixture into egg mixture, alternating with 1/4 cup milk; combine well but do not over beat. Repeat with remaining flour mixture and milk, beating slowly, until batter is smooth.
- Pour batter into prepared pan; bake in middle of oven until a tester inserted in center of cake comes out clean, about 25 to 30 minutes. Cool completely, dust with cocoa powder and cut into 16 pieces. Yields 1 piece per serving.