Delicious plain. Or try it dunked in coffee, topped with fresh fruit and light whipped cream, or dusted with powdered sugar.
- 1 spray(s) cooking spray
- 2 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 2 large egg(s), beaten
- 9 Tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1/4 Tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup(s) reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup(s) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup(s) fat free skim milk
- 1 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder, powder
Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 11- X 7 1/2-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
In another large bowl, using an electric mixer, whip eggs with sugar until light and fluffy. Add vanilla extract, almond extract, applesauce, sour cream and melted butter; beat until well-combined.
Pour 1/4 of flour mixture into egg mixture, alternating with 1/4 cup milk; combine well but do not over beat. Repeat with remaining flour mixture and milk, beating slowly, until batter is smooth.
Pour batter into prepared pan; bake in middle of oven until a tester inserted in center of cake comes out clean, about 25 to 30 minutes. Cool completely, dust with cocoa powder and cut into 16 pieces. Yields 1 piece per serving.
- Line the pan with parchment paper so you can easily slice the cake and lift it from the pan.Any additional toppings for cake could affect SmartPoints value.