Basic yellow cake
2 large egg(s), beaten
Reduced-fat sour cream
½ cup(s), melted
Fat free skim milk
Unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp, powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 11- X 7 1/2-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In another large bowl, using an electric mixer, whip eggs with sugar until light and fluffy. Add vanilla extract, almond extract, applesauce, sour cream and melted butter; beat until well-combined.
- Pour 1/4 of flour mixture into egg mixture, alternating with 1/4 cup milk; combine well but do not over beat. Repeat with remaining flour mixture and milk, beating slowly, until batter is smooth.
- Pour batter into prepared pan; bake in middle of oven until a tester inserted in center of cake comes out clean, about 25 to 30 minutes. Cool completely, dust with cocoa powder and cut into 16 pieces. Yields 1 piece per serving.