Bananas Foster Parfaits
- 1/2 oz instant vanilla pudding dry mix, sugar-free, (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 cup(s) fat free skim milk
- 1 Tbsp reduced-calorie margarine
- 1 Tbsp packed brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1/2 fl oz rum, dark, or 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 medium banana(s), cut on diagonal into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 item(s) amaretti cookie(s), made into fine crumbs
- Whisk together the pudding and milk in a medium bowl until the mixture begins to thicken slightly, about 2 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes to thicken.
- Alternately layer the pudding, banana mixture, and cookie crumbs in 2 (6-ounce) parfait glasses. Serve at once or cover and refrigerate for up to several hours.
- Alternately layer the pudding, banana mixture, and cookie crumbs in 2 (6-ounce) parfait glasses. Serve at once or cover and refrigerate for up to several hours. Yields 1 parfait per serving.
According to John Mariani in The Dictionary of American Food and Drink, Bananas Foster was created at Brennan’s restaurant in New Orleans in the 1950s as part of a Breakfast at Brennan’s promotion. It was named after Mr. Foster, who happened to be one of their regular customers.