Baked mozzarella sticks with spicy tomato dipping sauce
Olive oil cooking spray
1 medium clove(s), minced
Canned tomato sauce
⅛ tsp, granulated
Crushed red pepper flakes
⅛ tsp, optional
6 Tbsp, unseasoned panko
¼ tsp, ground
2 Tbsp, enriched
2 item(s), lightly scrambled
WW Light part-skim mozzarella string cheese
- Spray a baking sheet with olive oil cooking spray.
- In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil over medium low heat until just warm, about 1 minute. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add tomato sauce, salt, sugar and red pepper flakes (if desired). Stir well and heat until sauce begins to bubble. Reduce heat to low and simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- While sauce is cooking prepare mozzarella sticks. Combine panko, garlic powder, oregano, salt and pepper on a medium sized plate.
- Place flour on a small plate. Dip each stick in flour to coat. Shake off excess and dip in egg. Dip sticks in panko mixture. Place sticks on baking sheet 2 inches apart. Spray tops with olive oil cooking spray.
- Place baking sheet in freezer for 1 hour and refrigerate sauce.
- Fifteen to twenty minutes before serving time preheat oven to 400F. Once oven has reached desired temperature, remove baking sheet from freezer and place in oven. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until sticks are just heated through but not melted. Remove from oven and serve with sauce, warmed as follows.
- While mozzarella sticks are baking, remove sauce from refrigerator and heat, in a microwave-safe dish, in microwave oven for 1 to 2 minutes until warmed through. Serve ½ cup sauce with 1 mozzarella stick.