Baked Mozzarella Sticks with Spicy Tomato Dipping Sauce
- Total Time
Spice up snack time with baked mozzarella sticks and a spicy tomato sauce.
olive oil cooking spray2 spray(s)
olive oil1 tsp
garlic clove(s)1 clove(s), medium, minced
canned tomato sauce15 oz
table salt¼ tsp
sugar⅛ tsp, granulated
crushed red pepper flakes⅛ tsp, optional
fresh breadcrumbs6 Tbsp, unseasoned panko
garlic powder½ tsp
dried oregano½ tsp
kosher salt¼ tsp
black pepper¼ tsp, ground
white all-purpose flour2 Tbsp, enriched
egg white(s)2 item(s), lightly scrambled
Weight Watchers Light low moisture part skim mozzarella string cheese4 stick(s)
- Spray a baking sheet with olive oil cooking spray.
- Make sauce (alternatively 2 cups of your favorite marinara sauce may be substituted for sauce recipe). In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil over medium low heat until just warm, about 1 minute. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add tomato sauce, salt, sugar and red pepper flakes (if desired). Stir well and heat until sauce begins to bubble. Reduce heat to low and simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- While sauce is cooking prepare mozzarella sticks. Combine panko, garlic powder, oregano, salt and pepper on a medium sized plate.
- Place flour on a small plate. Dip each stick in flour to coat. Shake off excess and dip in egg. Dip sticks in panko mixture. Place sticks on baking sheet 2 inches apart. Spray tops with olive oil cooking spray.
- Place baking sheet in freezer for 1 hour and refrigerate sauce.
- Fifteen to twenty minutes before serving time preheat oven to 400F. Once oven has reached desired temperature, remove baking sheet from freezer and place in oven. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until sticks are just heated through but not melted. Remove from oven and serve with sauce, warmed as follows.
- While mozzarella sticks are baking, remove sauce from refrigerator and heat, in a microwave-safe dish, in microwave oven for 1 to 2 minutes until warmed through. Serve ½ cup sauce with 1 mozzarella stick.