- 5 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 3 large egg(s)
- 1 1/4 cup(s) dried plain breadcrumbs, seasoned variety
- 1 1/2 pound(s) uncooked eggplant(s), sliced 1⁄4 inch thick
- 14 oz Italian tomato sauce, tomato-basil variety
- 2 cup(s) shredded fat free mozzarella cheese
- 3 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat the oven to 425°F. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray. Combine the flour, oregano, and pepper in a wide, shallow bowl or pie plate. Beat the eggs in another wide, shallow bowl, and put the bread crumbs in a third bowl.
Working one slice at a time, coat the eggplant with the flour. Dip into the egg to coat, then dredge in the bread crumbs. Repeat with the remaining eggplant slices. Place the slices in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet and lightly spray the slices with nonstick spray. Bake 10 minutes; turn and bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes more; set aside to cool slightly.
Spread 1⁄2 cup of the pasta sauce over the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Arrange the eggplant slices on top, in an overlapping layer. Top with the remaining sauce and sprinkle with the mozzarella and Parmesan. Bake until the cheeses melt, 12 – 14 minutes. Yields 1⁄6 of casserole per serving.
- Remove the plastic wrap and bake straight out of the fridge. It’s ready when the cheeses melt, about 25 minutes.