- 5 pound(s) uncooked sweet potato(es), medium-size, scrubbed, pierced with a fork
- 1 Tbsp salted butter
- 2 medium fresh apple(s), Golden Delicious, peeled, cored and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1/2 cup(s) unsweetened orange juice
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon, plus extra for sprinkling on final product
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 spray(s) cooking spray
Preheat oven to 400ºF. Place potatoes on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until very soft, about 1 hour. Remove potatoes from oven and reduce oven temperature to 350ºF. Let potatoes stand until cool enough to handle.
Meanwhile, melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add apples and cook, gently turning occasionally, until golden and tender, about 7 minutes; remove from heat and set aside.
Cut cooled potatoes in half and scrape out pulp into a large bowl; discard skins. Add juice, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon and pepper; mash with a potato masher. Or for a smoother texture, process in a food processor until smooth.
Lightly coat a 1 1/2- to 2-quart rectangular or round baking dish with cooking spray. Scrape potato mixture into baking dish; arrange sautéed apples over top in pretty pattern such as concentric circles. Bake until bubbly around edges, about 30 minutes. Sprinkle with ground cinnamon and cut into 10 pieces.
- You can assemble this dish up to 4 hours in advance (up to the point of baking it). Keep it refrigerated but let it come to room temperature before cooking it.