Air-fried green tomatoes with spicy aioli
3 clove(s), finely chopped
Old Bay seasoning
4 tsp, divided
3½ tsp, divided
½ tsp, finely chopped
Fresh green tomatoes
3 large, about 1 3/4 lb
½ cup(s), finely ground
Whole wheat breadcrumbs
2 item(s), large
- To make aioli, in a small bowl, stir together garlic, mayonnaise, Old Bay, 1 tsp hot sauce, ½ tsp pickle juice, and dill; set aside.
- Slice each tomato into four 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- Add cornstarch to a small bowl. In a medium bowl, stir together cornmeal, breadcrumbs, smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. In another medium bowl, whisk together eggs, water, remaining 1 tbsp pickle juice, and remaining 1 tbsp hot sauce.
- Dip a tomato into cornstarch, shaking off any excess. Then dip tomato into egg mixture, turning to coat. Next, dip tomato into cornmeal mixture, making sure to coat tomato fully. Place on a platter and repeat with remaining tomatoes; refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat air fryer to 400°F. Lightly coat tomatoes with cooking spray. Place tomatoes in a single layer in air fryer basket and cook (in batches if necessary), flipping halfway through, about 8 to 10 minutes. Serve tomatoes with aioli.
- Serving size: 2 tomatoes with 2 tsp sauce