Spicy dhal soup with butternut squash
2 teaspoons, level, and 2 teaspoons onion seeds
1 stick(s), diced
500 g, peeled, deseeded and grated
Split Red Lentils, dry
Vegetable stock cube(s)
1 cube(s), to make 1.2 litres
1 medium, wedges, to serve
- Heat a pan over a medium heat and toast the cumin and onion seeds until fragrant and just starting to pop. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Return the pan to the heat and add the curry powder, celery, squash, lentils and stock, stir to combine then bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes until the lentils are tender.
- Use a stick blender to purée the soup until smooth. If you prefer a soup with a bit more texture, remove half the soup from the pan and purée, the stir the puréed portion back into the soup.
- Season to taste, and serve garnished with the toasted cumin and onion seeds and lime wedges on the side.
- COOK’S TIP: Swirl some 0% fat natural Greek yogurt through the soup just before serving – the SmartPoints will remain the same.