Enjoy this warming soup that can be 'dressed' up with shreds of cabbage, lean ham or even sliced mushrooms.
- 1/2 medium Onion(s), about 60g, chopped
- 5 spray(s) Calorie controlled cooking spray
- 300 g Potato(es), Raw, peeled, chopped
- 2 clove(s) Garlic, crushed
- 1000 ml Fresh Vegetable Stock, vegetable or chicken stock (made with powder or a cube)
- 1 pinch Salt, and black pepper, freshly ground
- 80 g Cabbage, green leaves, thinly shredded
Put the onion into a medium saucepan sprayed with low fat cooking spray and heat until sizzling. Cover and turn the heat down and cook for 5 minutes until softened. Then stir in the potato, garlic and stock.
Bring to the boil, season to taste then simmer gently , uncovered, for 20-25 minutes until the potato is tender and starts to break up. The soup can be cooled and chilled ahead at this stage. It can also be blended until smooth in a liquidiser if you want a creamy texture. Otherwise leave it chunky.
To serve, return to a gentle boil, add the cabbage and cook for a further 3-5 minutes. Serve hot.
- Cook's tip: You can add 100g of sliced mushrooms or 75g chopped ham instead of the cabbage.