Egg white(s), raw
25 g, roasted and ground
2 tablespoons, level
1 teaspoons, instant
3 tablespoons, level
Fat Free Natural Fromage Frais
2 teaspoons, level, 2 tsp, sifted
- Line two baking sheets with non-stick baking parchment. Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 1/140°C/275°F.
- Whisk the egg whites in a large, grease-free bowl, until stiff. Gradually whisk in the caster sugar, until the egg whites are stiff and glossy.
- Gently fold in the hazelnuts and cocoa powder. Spoon the egg white into a piping bag fitted with a plain nozzle and pipe 30 small swirls on the baking sheets. (Alternatively, use two teaspoons to form small meringues.)
- Cook for 1-1½ hours, until the meringues are dry and golden brown. Remove from the oven and leave to cool completely. Lift the meringues off the paper and transfer to an airtight container.
- To make the filling, dissolve the coffee in teaspoons of boiling water. Cool.
- In a bowl, whisk together the whipping cream and fromage frais, until smooth and thickened. (Use an electric whisk to do this.) Whisk in the coffee and a little icing sugar, to sweeten. Chill until required.
- Sandwich the meringues with the fromage frais filling. Pile up on a serving plate and dust with the remaining. Sifted icing sugar.