Lemon & ricotta pancakes
Plain White Flour
Bicarbonate of Soda
1 teaspoons, level
Egg, whole, raw
2 medium, raw, large
1 zest(s) of 1
½ teaspoons, level
- Put a large baking sheet in the oven and heat to 140°C, fan 120°C, gas mark 1.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt. In a separate bowl, mix together the buttermilk, ricotta, egg yolks, caster sugar and grated lemon zest until combined.
- Put the egg whites in a clean medium bowl and whisk, using a hand-held electric whisk, until soft peaks form.
- Gently fold the flour mixture into the buttermilk mixture, until just combined, then fold in the egg whites in two batches.
- Brush a large nonstick frying pan with a little of the oil and set over a medium heat. Pour 4 ladlefuls of batter into the pan – use about 60ml batter per pancake – and cook for 3 minutes until bubbles appear on the surface. Turn the pancakes and cook for another 2-3 minutes, then remove from the pan and transfer to the baking sheet in the oven to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining oil and batter until you have 12 pancakes.
- Dust with the icing sugar, then serve 2 pancakes per serving.