Lemon & lime crunch cake
White Self Raising Flour
½ teaspoons, level
Low Fat Spread
Egg, whole, raw
1 medium, raw
1 zest(s) of 1
Lemon Juice, Fresh
Lime Juice, Fresh
Fat Free Natural Yogurt
- Preheat the oven to 180 ̊C, fan 160 ̊C, gas mark 4. Line a 900g loaf tin with non-stick baking paper.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a small bowl.
- In a bowl, cream the spread and caster sugar for about 3 minutes using an electric mixer. Beat in the egg and two-thirds of the lemon and lime zests. Add half the flour to the bowl and mix briefly, followed by half the yogurt, and mix again. Repeat with the rest of the flour mixture and yogurt. Don’t over- mix or the sponge will be rubbery. The mixture will be stiff compared to a standard sponge cake batter.
- Spoon the cake mixture into the prepared loaf tin and spread evenly. Bake on the centre shelf for 35–40 minutes. A skewer pushed into the centre of the cake should come out clean when it is cooked. Remove the cake from the oven.
- Mix together the rest of the citrus zest with the lemon and lime juice and the demerara sugar. Use a fork to make little holes all over the cake, spoon the citrus drizzle on top and leave to soak in. Cool the cake in the loaf tin.