Flourless chocolate cake
Calorie controlled cooking spray
3 tablespoons, level
15 g, unsalted
Half Fat Crème Frâiche
Egg yolk, raw
3 medium, large
1½ teaspoons, level
Egg white(s), raw
5 individual, large
2 teaspoons, level
125 g, fresh, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas mark 4. Mist a 23cm springform cake tin with cooking spray and dust the base and sides with 1 tbsp of the cocoa powder.
- Put the chocolate and butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on high for 1 minute until melted. Stir until combined, then set aside to cool.
- Sift the remaining cocoa powder into a small bowl, add the crème fraîche and mix until smooth and combined. Set aside.
- Put the egg yolks and 65g of the granulated sugar in a medium bowl. Beat using a hand-held electric whisk until pale and creamy. Add the chocolate mixture and vanilla extract, then beat until smooth. Fold in the crème fraîche mixture until smooth and combined, then fold in the ground almonds.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg whites and salt until soft peaks form. Gradually add the remaining granulated sugar, 2 tbsp at a time, until combined, then beat for a final 2 minutes until you have a thick, glossy meringue.
- Gently fold one-third of the meringue into the chocolate and almond mixture. Repeat with the remaining meringue until combined. Transfer to the prepared cake tin and smooth the surface with a spatula. Bake for 40 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool completely in the tin – this will take approximately 1 hour. Gently release the cake from the tin, transfer to a cake stand and dust over the icing sugar. Serve with the fresh raspberries scattered over the top.