Creamy chicken & veg pie
1 hr 10 min
A delicious, all time favourite comforting chicken pie, feel free to mix up the vegetables, mushrooms and leek work well too.
Chicken breast, skinless, raw
4 medium, cut into bite-size chunks
Low Fat Spread
Low Fat Spread
2 teaspoon(s), level
4 stick(s), diced
4 medium, diced
1 medium, diced
Plain White Flour
3 tablespoon(s), level
Chicken stock cube(s)
2 cube(s), 500ml
Peas, fresh or frozen
Half Fat Crème Frâiche
1 tablespoon(s), chopped
Ready rolled light shortcrust pastry sheets
Egg, whole, raw
1 medium, raw, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan 180°C, gas mark 6. Season the chicken with salt & pepper. In a large saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon of spread over a medium-high heat, add the chicken and cook for 5 minutes, until the chicken is just cooked through. Using a slotted spoon, transfer chicken to a bowl and set aside.
- Melt the remaining spread in the same pot over a medium-high heat. Add the celery, carrots and onion and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Reduce the heat to a medium, sprinkle the vegetables with the flour and cook for 1 minute, stir in the stock and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the peas, crème frâiche and thyme then season. Simmer for 8 minutes, until the mixture thickens and the vegetables are just tender. Stir in the chicken and any pan juices and cook until heated through.
- Transfer the chicken mixture into a 2-litre pie dish. Unroll the pastry over the top of the filling and crimp the edges against the side of the dish, letting the edges hang over the sides of the dish.
- Brush the egg over the pastry and make a few holes in the top to allow steam to vent. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden.