You’ll find this recipe and lots more healthy ideas in our Lose Weight The Smart Way cookbook.
- 4 spray(s) Calorie controlled cooking spray
- 400 g Chicken breast, skinless, raw, chopped
- 250 g Leek, trimmed and sliced
- 2 clove(s) Garlic, crushed
- 250 g Carrots, raw, peeled and sliced
- 100 g Pearl barley, dry, rinsed
- 1 cube(s) Chicken stock cube(s), made with 1.7 litres hot water
- 250 g Cauliflower, Raw, broken into small florets
- 4 medium Spring Onions, finely sliced
- 150 g Kale, raw, sliced
Mist a large pan with cooking spray and place over a medium heat. Add the chicken and fry, stirring, for 5–8 minutes or until browned. Remove from the pan and set aside.
Mist the pan again and add the leek. Fry, stirring, for 5 minutes or until starting to soften, adding a splash of water if it sticks. Add the garlic and carrot and season. Fry, stirring, for 5 minutes more.
Return the chicken to the pan and stir in the pearl barley. Pour in 1.2 litres of the stock and cover. Bring to the boil and cook for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until the barley is tender.
Add the cauliflower to the stew with the remaining stock. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, adding the spring onion and kale for the final 3 minutes. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper, then ladle into bowls and serve.