Baked egg custard with pomegranate
SmartPoints® value per serving
Make a simple egg custard into something special by topping it with pomegranate seeds. Lovely!
Semi Skimmed Milk
Egg, whole, raw
3 medium, raw, British Lion
1 teaspoons, level
1 medium, seeds
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 3/170°C/fan oven 150°C/325°F.
- Heat the milk until quite hot, but do not boil it. Remove from the heat.
- Whisk the eggs, vanilla extract and sugar together in a large jug, then pour on the hot milk stirring all the time. Strain the mixture through a sieve into 6 individual baking dishes, or into one large dish.
- Stand the dishes, or dish, in a roasting tin with enough warm water to come about halfway up the sides. Bake for 25-30 minutes for individual desserts, or for about 50-55 minutes for one large dish. The custard should be set and firm to the touch. Cool slightly.
- Serve the custards with the pomegranate seeds sprinkled over the surface.
Instead of serving with pomegranate seeds, simply sprinkle freshly grated nutmeg over the surface of the custards before baking them.