24 Indian recipes to make at home tonight
Indian is a popular cuisine in Australia with many dishes that are easy to make at home: from your classic butter chicken to curries, biryani, korma, tandoori chicken, samosas and naan, there are recipes here to enjoy some Indian culture from your dinner table.
Key Indian staples
- Curry powders and pastes are spice blends. The heat varies between brands so opt for less is more until you’re sure. Find them in the spice or Indian aisle.
- Basmati rice is an aromatic long-grain rice perfect for Indian food. Find it in the rice aisle.
- Fresh mint is used to cool the palate when eating spicy food. Find it in the fresh produce section.
- Ghee is a type of clarified butter that is commonly used in Indian cooking for its rich, nutty flavour. It has a high smoke point, making it ideal for frying and sautéing.
- Lentils are a crucial source of protein in vegetarian Indian dishes.
- Paneer is a fresh cheese that is often used in vegetarian curries and dishes. It has a mild flavour and a firm, crumbly texture.
- Cumin seeds are a spice commonly used in Indian cuisine for its warm, earthy flavour. It adds depth to curries, soups, and sauces.
By adding these ingredients to your pantry, you'll be well on your way to creating delicious and authentic Indian dishes at home. Give it a go with one of our recipes below.