Butter style chicken curry
2 medium, 1 finely chopped, 1 finely sliced
2 clove(s), crushed
1 tbs, peeled, finely sliced (1 x 5cm piece)
pumpkin, butternut, raw
350 g, peeled, coarsely chopped
vegetable stock cube
2 individual, gluten free variety, to make 4 cups (1L) of stock
2 tbs, mild
skinless chicken breast
550 g, cut into 3cm cubes
200 g, white variety
baby spinach leaves
99% fat-free plain yoghurt
½ cup(s), (120g)
2 tbs, coarsely chopped
1 x 3 second spray(s)
- Place chopped onion, garlic, ginger, pumpkin and stock in a large pan over medium heat. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, for 12-15 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Strain stock through a sieve set over a large bowl and set aside. Process drained vegetables and passata in a food processor until smooth.
- Lightly spray a deep frying pan or flameproof casserole dish with oil and cook sliced onion over medium heat, stirring, for 5-8 minutes, or until softened. Add curry powder and cook, stirring, for another 2 minutes. Add chicken and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes, until just sealed, then stir in pureed vegetable and passata mixture, along with 400ml reserved stock. Simmer for 20 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and sauce has thickened. Season to taste.
- Meanwhile, cook rice following packet instructions, adding turmeric to cooking water to colour rice
- When curry is almost cooked, place spinach in a large microwave-safe bowl with 2-3 tablespoons water. Cover and microwave on high for 2 minutes, or steam until wilted. Drain.
- Serve curry with turmeric rice, wilted spinach, yoghurt and coriander