Spice and apple pies
Apple, granny smith, unpeeled, fresh
3 medium, peeled, cored, cut into 2cm cubes
½ tsp, plus extra to dust
Uncooked filo pastry
4½ sheet(s), fresh
5 x 3 second spray(s)
- Place the apple, sultanas, brown sugar, lemon juice and cinnamon in a large frying pan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, for 10 minutes or until the apple is tender but still hold its shape. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Spray 6 holes in a 12 hole (1/3 cup) muffin tin with oil.
- Lightly spray 1 sheet of pastry with oil. Cut crossways into quarters. Cut each piece in half to make 8 rectangles. Repeat with remaining pastry to make 36 rectangles in total. Set aside 12 rectangles.
- Layer 4 rectangles, slightly overlapping, to form a star shape. Press into 1 muffin hole. Repeat to make another 5 cases. Divide the apple mixture between the cases.
- Layer 2 of the reserved rectangles on each pie to cover the filling and scrunch slightly to make the pie tops. Bake for 20 minutes or until the pastry is crisp and golden.
- Serve warm dusted with icing sugar.