Black forest cake
white self-raising flour
⅔ cup(s), (100g)
¼ cup(s), (30g)
⅔ cup(s), (150g)
low-fat ricotta cheese
Fruche, Fromage Frais, Vanilla Bean
300 g, (2 x 150g tubs)
1 cup(s), to serve
canned black cherries in syrup, drained
400 g, (buy 1 x 670g morello cherries, drained)
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Lightly spray three 20cm (base measurement) round cake tins with oil and line bases with baking paper.
- Sift the flour, cocoa and almond meal into a medium bowl.
- Using an electric mixer, whisk the eggs and sugar in a large bowl until thick and pale and the mixture doubles in size. Sift the flour mixture into the egg mixture. Using a metal spoon, gently fold until just combined. Divide the mixture evenly among the prepared tins. Smooth the surfaces. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cakes are dry to the touch and come away from the sides of the tins. Turn the cakes onto a wire rack lined with baking paper. Set aside to cool completely.
- Process the ricotta and the Frûche in a food processor until smooth.
- Place 1 cake on a serving plate. Spoon over one-third of the ricotta mixture and top with half the morello cherries. Repeat the layers, finishing with remaining cake and ricotta. Top with fresh cherries to serve.