Red velvet cupcakes
Unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp, divided
¾ cup(s), granulated
¼ cup(s), softened
2 large egg(s)
Powdered sugar (confectioner's)
2 Tbsp, softened
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Prepare 16 muffin tins with paper muffin liners.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, salt, baking soda and cocoa; set aside.
- In another large bowl, mix together buttermilk, vinegar and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract; set aside.
- With an electric mixer on high speed, cream granulated sugar with butter until light and fluffy. Reduce mixer speed and add eggs, one at a time, until well-incorporated.
- Add about 1/3 each of flour and buttermilk mixtures to sugar mixture; beat until just combined. Repeat until all of flour and buttermilk mixtures are incorporated; add 1 1/2 ounces of red food coloring and mix well with mixer (do not over beat batter).
- Fill each muffin tin about 2/3 full with batter.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of a cupcake comes out dry, about 25 minutes; cool for 5 minutes in pan and then cool completely on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, to make icing, combine powdered sugar, cheese and remaining teaspoon of vanilla in a medium bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until well-combined and creamy. For a looser icing, add 1 to 2 teaspoons of warm water. Ice cooled cupcakes. Yields 1 iced cupcake per serving.