Mini chocolate brownie biscotti
6 oz, (3/4 cup)
unsweetened cocoa powder
½ cup(s), Dutch-process variety
- Place the oven racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven and preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Put the flour, 1⁄4 cup of the chocolate chips, the cocoa, espresso powder, baking soda, and salt in a food processor; process until the chocolate is finely chopped, about 1 minute. Transfer to a large bowl. Put the sugar, eggs, egg whites, and vanilla in the food processor (no need to clean the bowl); process until the mixture is slightly thickened, about 1 minute. Add to the flour mixture along with the remaining 1⁄2 cup of chocolate chips and 1⁄2 cup of the walnuts; stir until blended.
- Spoon the dough onto the baking sheets, forming two 14 x 1 1⁄2-inch logs on each baking sheet, using 3⁄4 cup dough for each log and placing about 5 inches apart. Sprinkle evenly with the remaining 1⁄4 cup of walnuts, pressing them lightly so they adhere. Bake the logs until firm when lightly pressed, about 15 minutes, rotating the baking sheets halfway through the baking. Let cool on the baking sheets on racks about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, reduce the oven temperature to 275°F.
- With a narrow metal spatula, loosen the logs from the parchment paper. With a serrated knife, cut each log crosswise into 1⁄2-inch-thick slices, making a total of 56 slices. Stand the slices on the baking sheets. Bake until dry, 15 – 20 minutes, rotating the baking sheets halfway through the baking. With a spatula, transfer the biscotti to racks and let cool completely. Yields 2 biscotti per serving.