Individual baked-apple "pies"
7 - 10
PersonalPoints™ per serving
1 hr 20 min
These single-serving stuffed apple pie-like desserts bring the flavors of fall to your plate. The apple pie filling bakes up wonderfully inside hollowed-out apples, and gets a deeper, more complex flavor thanks to the apple cider, dark brown sugar (which has more molasses than light brown sugar), and maple syrup. A store-bought refrigerated pie crust provides makes an easy lattice crust and the perfect amount of buttery crust to satisfy. For this, you need an apple variety that holds their shape well in the high, prolonged heat of the oven. Honeycrisp apples are sweeter, while Granny Smith are more tart; both work beautifully in this recipe
Granny Smith apple(s)
8 medium, or Honeycrisp apple
Dark brown sugar
Frozen pie crust
4 oz, thawed, or refrigerated pie crust
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cut a thin slice from top and bottom of each apple so it stands upright and cores are exposed. Using a melon baller, core and discard tough center of apples and seeds. Continue to gently scoop out and reserve the flesh from each apple, leaving a 1/4-inch-thick apple “shell."
- On a cutting board coarsely chop the reserved apple flesh. Place chopped apple in a bowl with sugar and cinnamon; toss to coat. Spoon an equal of mixture into each hallowed-out apple shell. Place stuffed apples in a large baking dish, leaving room between each one.
- In a cup, combine cider and maple syrup; drizzle evenly across all apples.
- Create lattice topping by rolling out pie crust into a 12-inch square (or use your fingers to gently stretch out from the middle into a large square shape). Divide rolled crust into 4 even pieces. Halve each piece crosswise, then slice each piece into 6 even strips, for a total of 48 strips – 6 for each apple.
- On a lightly floured work surface, weave 6 pie crust strips into a 3-by-3-strip lattice (it should be 3-inches square); use a spatula to gently place lattice on top of a prepared apple and press lightly to secure edges. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Bake apples until tender and crust is beginning to brown, 25 to 30 minutes. Serve warm or room temperature.
- Serving size: 1 apple.