- 1 spray(s) cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp table salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp ground allspice
- 2 large egg(s)
- 1/4 cup(s) sugar
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 1/2 cup(s) honey, dark-variety preferred
- 1/4 cup(s) unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/4 cup(s) sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat a metal or glass loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and allspice; set aside.
- In another large bowl, beat eggs with an electric mixer; add sugar, oil and honey. Beat until combined and mixture is pale yellow; stir in applesauce and lemon zest.
- Slowly incorporate flour mixture into egg mixture using an electric mixer; mix thoroughly but do not over beat.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan; sprinkle with almonds. Bake in middle of oven until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean, about 40 to 45 minutes. Cool cake in pan for about 15 to 20 minutes and then cool cake completely on a wire rack. Slice into 12 pieces and serve. Yields 1 slice per serving.
If you prefer your cake with a denser texture, bake it at 325ºF for 45 minutes. Then reduce the oven temperature to 300ºF and bake for 15 minutes more.