Quick cooked white corn grits
1 cup(s), lukewarm (105°F–115°F)
Uncooked red onion(s)
1 large, sliced
Uncooked turkey sausage(s)
½ pound(s), sweet italian
1 tsp, fresh leaves
½ tsp, coarsely ground
- Combine the flour, grits, yeast, salt, and egg white in a food processor. Process for 1 minute, then drizzle in the water through the feed tube. After the dough forms a ball, continue to run for about 1 minute to knead.
- Spray a large bowl with nonstick spray; put the dough in the bowl. Roll to coat the dough, cover lightly with plastic wrap, and let rise in a warm spot until it doubles in size and no longer springs back to the touch, about 30 minutes.
- Spray a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with nonstick spray. Transfer the dough to the baking pan and press it to cover the baking pan evenly. Cover the dough loosely with plastic wrap and set aside for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 425°F. Toss the onion in the vinegar and put in a baking dish. Bake until soft, about 9 minutes, stirring every 3 minutes. Brown the turkey sausage in a skillet, breaking it apart with a spoon, until crumbly and no longer pink. Drain on paper towels.
- Push the dough flat, leaving a 1/2-inch raised border around the edge. Brush with the olive oil. Layer with the onion, then the sausage, and top with the thyme. Sprinkle with the pepper, fennel seeds, and coarse salt. Spray with nonstick spray. Bake