Fresh lemon-lime squares
Uncooked unenriched white cornmeal
2 large egg(s)
2 Tbsp, softened
2 tsp, grated
Fresh lemon juice
2 tsp, grated
Fresh lime juice
Powdered sugar (confectioner's)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line an 8-inch square baking pan with foil, allowing the foil to extend over the rim of the pan by 2 inches. Spray with nonstick spray.
- Whisk together 2⁄3 cup of the flour, the cornmeal, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl; set aside. With a fork, beat together the eggs and egg white in a small bowl. Transfer 1 tablespoon of the beaten egg mixture to a cup; stir in the water. Set aside both egg mixtures.
- With an electric mixer on low speed, beat the butter in a medium bowl until creamy. Add 1⁄4 cup of the granulated sugar and beat until blended. Beat in the egg-water mixture. Add the flour mixture and beat until blended. Press the dough evenly onto the bottom and 1⁄4 inch up the sides of the pan. Bake until golden brown, about 22 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the remaining 1/3 cup of flour and 3/4 cup of granulated sugar in a medium bowl. Whisk in the remaining egg mixture until blended. Add the lemon zest and juice and lime zest and juice, whisking until well blended.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 300°F. Pour the lemon-lime mixture over the hot crust. Bake until the filling is set, 20 – 25 minutes. Let cool in the pan on a rack. Refrigerate until cold, at least 1 hour or up to 8 hours. Dust with the confectioners’ sugar. Lift from the pan using the foil as handles; cut into 16 squares. Yields 1 square per serving.