Deep chocolate chiffon cake
3 oz, chopped
Unsweetened cocoa powder
4 oz, (about 1/2 cup)
1 cup(s), boiling
4 large egg(s), separated and at room temperature
3 large, at room temperature
Cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Stir together chocolate and cocoa in medium bowl; add boiling water and let stand 5 minutes. Whisk until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Let cool.
- Whisk together flour, 1 cup of granulated sugar, the baking powder, and salt in large bowl. To cooled cocoa mixture, add egg yolks, oil, and vanilla and whisk until blended. Stir cocoa mixture into flour mixture until blended (mixture will be stiff).
- With electric mixer on medium speed, beat the 7 egg whites and cream of tartar in large bowl until soft peaks form when beaters are lifted. Add remaining 1/2 cup granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- With rubber spatula, stir one-fourth of beaten whites into chocolate mixture to lighten it. Fold remaining whites, one-third at a time, into chocolate mixture, just until no longer visible.
- Scrape batter into ungreased 10-inch tube pan with removable bottom; smooth top. Bake until cake springs back when lightly pressed, about 1 hour 5 minutes. Invert cake onto its legs or neck of wine bottle and let cool completely. Run thin knife around cake to loosen from side and center tube of pan. Remove cake from pan and place on serving plate. Dust with confectioners' sugar.
- Per serving: 1/16 of cake