In season - Beetroot recipes
Shopping and cooking with beetroot tips
Beetroot is a highly nutritious vegie full of fibre, vitamins, minerals and anti-oxidants. Here are our top tips for using beet:
- For sweetness, colour and crunch, use grated raw beetroot in salads.
- Don’t forget the leaves! Use them in place of spinach. They’re delicious sautéed with a touch of oil and garlic.
- Serve beetroots with your Sunday roast. Decrease the amount of potatoes and substitute beets instead for a sweeter flavour.
- Use beets in baking: there’s no need for red food colouring to make red velvet chocolate cakes, grated beets does the trick. Also use beetroot juice to colour cupcakes and icing.
- Forget butter on sandwiches: try one of our tasty beet dips instead. Check out our recipe for roasted beetroot dip.
- Roasting beetroot brings out its sweet flavour and intense colour.
- To stop the beetroot from staining your fingers and nails red, wear plastic gloves when cutting and grating the beets.
In season during: Summer, autumn, winter and spring.