Adzuki bean, miso and mushroom soup
Beans, adzuki, dry
200 g, (1 Cup)
1 large, finely chopped
2 clove(s), crushed
2 tsp, finely grated
100 g, sliced
2 tbs, brown
Orange sweet potato (kumara)
350 g, chopped
Baby spinach leaves
1 tbs, (Japanese rice wine)
3 individual, thinly sliced
- Place adzuki beans in a large bowl and cover with cold water. Cover and set aside overnight to soak. Drain.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until golden.
- Add beans, 1.25 litres (5 cups) water and miso paste and whisk to combine. Bring to the boil. Transfer to a 4.5 litre (18-cup) slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low for 6 hours (or high for 3 hours).
- Add sweet potato. Cook, covered, on low for 1 hour (or high for 30 minutes).
- Stir in spinach, mirin and soy sauce. Serve sprinkled with shallots.