Very Chocolate Rice Pudding
- Total Time
We’ve replaced white rice typically with quick-cooking brown rice, which lends a slightly chewy texture — a good contrast to the creamy pudding.
uncooked instant brown rice2 cup(s)
low-fat milk2 cup(s)
unsweetened cocoa powder¼ cup(s)
table salt⅛ tsp
semisweet chocolate chips¼ cup(s)
vanilla extract1 tsp
- Combine the water and rice in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, until the water is absorbed and the rice is very tender, about 20 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl.
- Pour 1 1/2 cups of the milk into a 2-cup glass measure. Microwave on High until hot, about 2 minutes.
- Whisk together the sugar, cocoa, cornstarch, and salt in a clean medium saucepan until blended. Whisk in the remaining 1/2 cup cold milk until combined well; whisk in the hot milk.
- Cook the milk mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly with a silicone (heatproof) spatula until the pudding bubbles and thickens, about 6 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and stir in the rice. Cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Add the chocolate and stir until melted and smooth.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the vanilla. Divide the pudding evenly among into 4 dessert dishes. Serve warm or cover each dish with a piece of plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold, about 4 hours. Yields 2/3 cup per serving.