Weight loss & diet
How Tracking Can Help You Lose Weight
Why should you track what you eat? Simple. It helps you lose weight. Along the way you'll learn to make healthier choices, too.
Published 20 December, 2019
Being mindful of how much you eat, move, and whether you're gaining, losing, or maintaining your weight can help you see your progress more clearly. After all, the number on the scale is only one indicator of overall health: Wellness is about building habits that last a lifetime.
How does tracking work?
Tracking makes you more aware of:
- What you’re eating
- How much you’re eating
- How many Points® values you’re using, so you can decide...
- Whether those foods are “worth it” to you
A few pointers
- Be as accurate and honest as you can.
- Track in the moment, if you can.
- Be kind to yourself.
Not every day is going to be perfect. And that’s okay. Focus on small, simple things (like planning your next meal) and you’ll be right back on track.
- Use the Barcode Scanner. Scan the barcode of almost any packaged food and it’ll automatically calculate the Points values for you.
- Take a pic. Don’t have time to track? Take a picture and track it later. It’ll also help you remember exactly what you ate.
- Pre-track your meal. Planning ahead will help you know how many Points you have to spend and what you want to spend them on.
Want to learn more about the WW app? Here's a guide to all the tools and trackers!