Sticky rolled brisket
Trimmed beef chuck steak
900 g, (Buy 1kg) Brisket
½ cup(s), wholemeal (35g)
4 individual, stones removed, finely chopped
30 g, (2 tbs)
1 tbs, finelly shredded
1 medium, lightly beaten
16 small, pickling
Pickled onion, drained
125 ml, Marsala (1/2 cup)
2 cup(s), (500ml)
- Season beef with salt and pepper. Combine breadcrumbs, dates, pistachios, sage and egg in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Arrange stuffing along centre of beef. Roll to enclose filling. Tie beef at 3cm intervals with unwaxed white kitchen string to secure filling.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick frying pan over high heat. Cook beef, turning, for 5 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a 4.5 litre (18-cup) slow cooker.
- Add onions, wine and stock to slow cooker. Cook, covered, turning beef occasionally, on low for 8 hours (or high for 4 hours).
- Transfer beef and onions to a plate. Transfer cooking liquid to a large frying pan and bring to the boil. Boil for 5 minutes or until sauce slightly thickens.
- Remove and discard kitchen string from beef. Cut beef into thick slices. Drizzle with sauce and serve with onions.