Slow roasted spanish lamb with smashed white beans
1 tsp, (sweet)
Fresh lemon rind
1 tsp, grated
Dried chilli flakes
Lean lamb leg roast
800 g, (buy 1kg)
1¼ cup(s), (salt-reduced)
¼ cup(s), (60ml)
Canned cannellini beans, rinsed, drained
- Preheat oven to 210°C. Combine the paprika, oregano, lemon rind and chilli flakes in a small bowl. Place the lamb in a large baking dish. Rub the spice mixture over the lamb and lightly spray with oil. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until browned.
- Reduce oven to 150°C. Add 1 cup (250ml) of the stock and 2 tablespoons lemon juice to the base of the pan. Cover the lamb with baking paper, tucking the edges of the paper under the lamb leg, then cover entire tray with foil. Bake for 2½-3 hours or until the lamb is extremely tender.
- Transfer the lamb to a plate. Cover with foil and set aside to rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook the garlic and fresh oregano, stirring, for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add the cannellini beans, remaining stock and remaining lemon juice, and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes or until slightly reduced. Using a fork, coarsely mash the cannellini beans.
- Steam the broccolini over a saucepan of boiling water for 3 minutes or until just tender. Serve the lamb with the beans and broccolini, drizzled with any pan juices.