Slow cooker braised beef with charred tortillas
Lean beef blade roast
450 g, (buy 500g), fat trimmed
2 clove(s), crushed
Canned diced tomatoes
1 can(s), (1 x 400g can)
1 large, chopped
Fresh green chilli
2 whole, chopped, plus extra to serve
2 individual, sliced
½ cup(s), plus small sprigs to serve
92 g, (4 x 23g tortillas)
Reduced-fat 15% cheddar cheese
¼ cup(s), grated, (30g)
4 medium, thinly sliced
1 medium, wedges, to serve
1 x 3 second spray(s)
- Season beef with salt and pepper. Lightly spray a medium non-stick frying pan with oil and heat over medium heat. Cook beef, turning, for 6 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a 4.5 litre (18-cup) slow cooker.
- Add garlic, chili powder, cumin and oregano to same pan. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Sprinkle with flour and stir to combine. Add tomatoes and bring to the boil. Season with salt and pepper and simmer for 1 minute.
- Add tomato mixture to slow cooker. Stir in capsicum and chopped chilli. Cook, covered, on high for 3 hours (or low for 6 hours) or until beef is fork tender. Stir in shallots and chopped coriander. Transfer beef to a board. Using two forks, shred beef. Return beef to slow cooker.
- Heat a medium non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Heat tortillas, one at a time, until lightly charred in spots.
- Sprinkle stew with cheese, radishes, extra sliced chilli and coriander sprigs. Serve with tortillas and lime wedges.