Swap the traditional meaty pasta sauce for this lighter pumpkin one. Its smooth texture is matched perfectly with the crunchy bacon pieces.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove(s) fresh garlic, crushed
- 125 g Hans Bacon, chopped
- 400 g canned diced tomatoes
- 350 g pumpkin, cut into 1.5cm pieces
- 100 g baby spinach leaves
- 375 g Fresh pasta, agnolotti, spinach and ricotta
- 1/4 cup(s) grated parmesan cheese
Fill and boil the kettle. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook onion, garlic and bacon, stirring, for 3–4 minutes or until light golden.
Add tomatoes and ½ cup (125ml) boiling water and bring to the boil. Add pumpkin. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until pumpkin is tender. Add spinach and cook for 1 minute or until just wilted. Season with pepper.
Meanwhile, pour remaining boiled water from kettle into a large saucepan and return to the boil over high heat. Cook pasta in boiling salted water, following packet instructions, or until just tender. Drain. Serve pasta topped with pumpkin sauce and parmesan.
- TIP: Timesaver: Use 1 teaspoon crushed garlic from a jar or tube instead of fresh garlic. Use pre-chopped pumpkin sold in packs in the fresh produce section of some supermarkets.