- 1 large fresh eggplant, sliced thinly lengthways
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 x 3 second spray(s) oil spray
- 1 medium brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 2 clove(s) fresh garlic, crushed
- 500 g lean lamb mince, (lean)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground all spice
- 400 g canned diced tomatoes
- 1 tbs Weight Watchers Weight Watchers Canola Spread
- 2 tbs plain flour
- 1 cup(s) reduced-fat milk, (250ml)
- 1/4 cup(s), grated light cheddar cheese, (25g)
Preheat oven to 200°C or 180°C fan-forced. Heat a chargrill or barbecue over medium-high heat. Spray both sides of eggplant with oil. Chargrill eggplant for 2–3 minutes each side or until charred.
Heat oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion and carrot, stirring, for 3–5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add mince, cinnamon and allspice and cook, breaking up lumps, for 5 minutes or until browned. Add tomatoes and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until slightly thickened.
Meanwhile, melt spread in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Gradually add milk, stirring after each addition until smooth, and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Stir in cheese.
Place half the eggplant in the base of a 1.5L (6-cup) capacity ovenproof dish. Top with half the mince mixture. Repeat with remaining eggplant and mince mixture.
Pour cheese mixture over mince layer and bake for 20 minutes or until lightly golden. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes before serving.